One of the best place to generate free quality traffic is Online Forums. The great thing about forum is that you can target a particular group that fits the niche market you are interested in as an online entrepreneur. Forums provide a wonderful opportunity for you to build your reputation and trust online because you have the rare advantage of having a prior information about the people you are dealing with (you have access to their profiles and past posts).
Here are some tips to help you make the best use of the opportunity:
- Register with the forum using a name that is distinct and memorable. Ensure your business website is included in your profile (there is no harm in given your business address, even though it will identify you as an entrepreneur or a marketer, it is allowed). If allowed, make your website url part of your signatures (check the forum rule first, as different forum have different rules concerning this).
Go to the section of the forum where the group that you are targeting carry out their conversations.
- At this stage, play nice. Tap into conversations that are already ongoing. Contribute positively in conversations, but do not establish yourself as an authority yet, do not blow your own trumpet. Warning: Do not spam the forum. Do not seek for cheap popularity by making one sentence posts all over the forum. You will simply incur the wrath of the forum community and that may do damage to your online reputation. If you do not have a quality answer or contribution to a post, refrain from making any post to that thread.
- Observe how the members react to certain situations. What gets their approval and what irks them.
- Take time to identify the leaders in the conversations. Find out who everyone is talking about positively in the forum.
- Study what they write about. Find out why they have such a strong influence on the rest of the members and are able to sway opinions. Make a list of these people. Conduct a little research to understand why they are regarded as authorities in the forum.
- Establish a relationship with the leaders slowly. Ask lots of questions from those leaders. Dig into their profiles and past posts. Having this piece of information will enable you establish yourself as an authority in the same forum later on.
- When your presence is well established, start new threads that are either interesting or controversial (without stepping on toes!).
- Make posts that offer solutions to needs, or answers to questions. As you offer solutions to needs and answers to questions in the forum, you will get recognize as an expert in that area and best of all, you will gain the trust of the forum community.
- You can discuss lots of things about the niche that you can offer freely, however, restrain yourself from selling directly on the forum. Your sales should be done on your website, not the forum (except if there are threads provided for entrepreneurs to advertise their products and services, but even at that, you will be blowing your cover, by advertising!).
If you have tips that you have used and it worked for you, kindly share them in the comments. Cheers. If you enjoy this post subscribe to my RSS feed by clicking here. If you want it delivered straight into your email box, you can subscribe here.